As the mom of a now-toddler (?!), I am cooking and grocery-shopping way more than ever before. On a constant quest to incorporate more veggies into baby Asa’s diet, I’ve been digging the awesome website Weelicious.com (be sure to check out their instagram feed for awe-inspiring kid lunch suggestions)! This super yummy pizza sauce comes from them. I’ve used on spiral noodles as well as on homemade, grilled pizzas (a recipe for another day). It’s worth the effort!
- 1 tablespoon olive
- 1 red, orange or yellow bell pepper, diced
- 1 medium carrot
- 1 stalk celery
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 28-ounce cans diced tomatoes, drained
- Heat the oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the bell peppers, carrots, celery, onions and garlic. Saute until veggies are soft, about 5 minutes. Add the tomato paste and cook for 1 more minute, stirring constantly.
- Add the tomatoes, reduce heat to low, and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat, puree with an immersion hand blender (or in a regular blender) until almost smooth.
- Return sauce to the heat and simmer until thick, 10-20 minutes. The longer you simmer this sauce the thicker and more flavorful it will become. You can simmer up to 2 hours.